Midwifery program in Nashville, Tennessee
When you partner with one of the certified nurse midwives (CNMs) at TriStar Medical Group, our first priority is that you feel heard, understood, safe and supported throughout your health journey. Our CNMs offer full-scope nurse-midwifery services, which include support throughout pregnancy and childbirth as well as gynecologic services in Nashville, Tennessee.
For more information about our midwifery services, call us at (800) 242-5662.
What is a certified nurse midwife?
CNMs are graduate-prepared, advanced-practice nurses, who can practice independently at hospitals, birth centers or in homes. They are trained to offer obstetric care and gynecologic care and have received specialized midwifery training. They are also able to provide women's health services, such as well-woman exams and contraceptive options.
The benefits of using a midwife as part of your birth plan
Our midwives work as part of a collaborative team that includes obstetricians and other specialists. Our CNMs provide hands-on physical support during labor and birth and will support you throughout your pregnancy and postpartum period. They provide clinical care, education and counseling individualized to fit your needs.
Our care philosophy
Choosing a care provider is a personal decision. In addition to considering a provider’s education and expertise, it is also important to consider the provider’s philosophical approach to care and how they will work with you to help you make decisions.
Our midwives support the philosophy of the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM). In particular, we believe that culturally competent, family-centered midwifery care should be available to women from a variety of ethnicities, cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds.
We believe every woman has the right to the following:
- Complete and accurate information to make informed healthcare decisions
- Equitable, ethical, quality healthcare that promotes health and healing
- Family involvement to the extent that the patient desires in all healthcare experiences
- Healthcare that respects human dignity, individuality and diversity
- Self-determination and active participation in healthcare decisions
We honor women’s life-cycle events and believe in:
- Watchful waiting and non-intervention in normal pregnancy and birth
- The appropriate use of interventions and technology to prevent or treat potential health problems
- The provision of care within a system that allows for easy access to specialized care when needed, including collaboration and consultation with physicians and other members of the healthcare team
Our midwifery services
We provide nurse-midwifery services from adolescence through menopause with a special emphasis on pregnancy, childbirth and gynecology. We provide high-quality and compassionate care for expectant mothers and women of all ages, including:
- Assistance with physician referrals
- Breast exams
- Childbirth services, including labor and delivery support
- Contraception counseling
- Educational resources throughout pregnancy
- Gynecologic care and exams
- Pap smears
- Physical and emotional support throughout birth
- Planning for birth
- Preconception care
- Prenatal counseling for diet, exercise, vitamins and more
- Prenatal exams and tests
Labor and delivery
Our midwives provide labor and birth services at the TriStar Centennial Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. We practice in collaboration with board-certified obstetrician/gynecologists (OB/GYNs), neonatologists and pediatricians.
Our obstetricians are in-house and available 24/7, giving you the peace of mind that you will have immediate access to highly specialized medical or surgical care should you need it.